The Q&A Archives: Caring for Strawberry Begonia

Question: I have a strawberry begonia (I think that is what it is called) and it has "babies" that hang down from the "mother" plant by thin "threads". I need some advice on how to care for this plant properly. It is one of my favorites and very hard to find.

Answer: The strawberry begonia (Saxifraga stoloifera, also known as the strawberry geranium) enjoys the following conditions, as outlined in the Hyponex Guide to Houseplants: Light: in winter, an east or west window, or shaded south window. Will adapt to north light; thrives under grow-lights. Temp: in winter, 50-70 degrees F. Potting Soil: average, well drained soil. Moisture: frequent misting. Water to keep soil evenly moist, although slight drying occasionally is desirable. Fertilizer: general plant fertilizer, year round. Follow lable directions. Common Problems: Drafts of hot, dry air (as around radiators) or leaf edges will die. Container: standard clay, plastic, or hanging pot, or terrarium (they enjoy humidity). Propogation: root the "babies" during any season. Here's a mail order source of several varieties of Strawberry Begonia: Merry Gardens P.O. Box 595 Camden, ME 04843 (207) 236-9064