The Q&A Archives: Burning Ornamental Grasses

Question: I "burned" my ornamental grasses in late March after I cut them down to 3-4 " above ground. But they have not sprouted any new growth yet. Are they dead or should I wait a week or so? It seems they should be sprouting now, but this is my first springwith over-wintering grasses. I love them. Jimmy Peters Dayton, OH

Answer: Burning is not recommended for ornamental grasses. Cutting the dead growth is sufficient maintenance in that respect. If you could tell me the species/variety of your grass, I can advise you on how to trim them. Better yet, contact the nursery where you bought them for instruction. It may be that the crowns and buds of the plants were damaged by fire. Water and feed them as usual, as they may send up new growth from undamaged tissues.