The Q&A Archives: Old Asparagus Bed

Question: My husband and I planted asparagus 5 years ago. The first year we did not eat the veg. and let it grow. The second season we moved away. We just moved back. The area is now overgrown with Grass. Will it come up through the grass or is there no hope. Can I dig it up and move it. What should I do?

Answer: I think I'd carefully dig the bed and remove the grass, or remove the asparagus crowns, then remove the grass. Your asparagus plants won't be able to compete with the grass and eventually they'll die out. If you can salvage the plants, put them in a new bed, or replant in the old bed after you've removed all the grass. Sorry you have such a big job ahead of you! It might be easier to start a new bed with brand new asparagus crowns!