The Q&A Archives: Growing Tomatoes Under Translucent Plastic

Question: I built my own greenhouse for growing tomatoes in containers. I understand that tomatoes need plenty of direct sunlight. The covering on my greenhouse is made of .006" plastic sheeting. The sheeting is translucent (foggy), but not optically clear. Is this going to be a problem? Dave Siegfried Boise, ID

Answer: You'll notice that many commercial greenhouses have walls and ceilings made of translucent, but not transparent, material so I think you should be OK. In fact, it may help keep the greenhouse from getting too hot in mid-summer. If you notice that your tomatoes are not thriving as much as you'd like, and they are being grown in containers, you can always move them outdoors. One thing to note: plastic sheeting will degrade in sunlight, and may not last more than one summer before becoming brittle and yellowed. There are some UV-protected plastics available -- made especially for greenhouses -- that should last more than one season.