The Q&A Archives: Staking Tall Plants

Question: I have heard of a stake and string method of staking plants such as peonies and dahlias to hold them up when they get heavy bloom. It was supposed to be almost invisable when plants get grown.Please explain this method and include best materials to use. Thank you

Answer: I'm not sure exactly what method you've heard about, but here's one suggestion: Early in the season, set 4 or more stakes around the perimeter of the plant. Use stakes that will be slightly shorter than the eventual height of the plant. Then wind string, preferably a natural-looking jute, around the stakes and through the middle to the opposite stakes, creating a little cross-hatched cage, and continuing to the top of the stakes. The foliage will quickly grow to cover the string.