The Q&A Archives: Information on Engleman Ivy

Question: I'm planning on covering a 6ft high wooden fence around my deck with an ivy, to be grown in containers. Do you have any information on Engleman Ivy? I have heard it's a beautiful plant, with leaves that turn red in the fall. Any information you might have on where to find it and best way to grow it would be helpful.

Engelman ivy is another name for Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia) This is a hardy vine that climbs by small tendrils with sticky pads. It will climb anything made of stucco, brick or wood, although you may have to give it some assistance to get started. It tolerates sun or shade and average soil. I you intend to put it in containers, it may not withstand a Chicago winters. The roots will freeze, killing the plant. If there is any way to sink the pots in the ground for the winter, you will be able to pull it through. Otherwise, plant it in the ground if you can. Plants should be available from almost any perennial nursery or from Midwest Groundcovers in St. Charles. Seeds are available from Cyberseeds, PO Box 171102, San Antonio, TX 78217-1102. Good luck!