The Q&A Archives: Light Requirements

Question: A neighbor gave me a butterfly plant. I beleive it is a Lochinch by the discription in the catalog. I do not know what type of sun to tranplant it in. All other butterfly plants say full sun but she had grown hers in partial sun. Please help I do notwant to harm this beautiful plant. Thanks!!! Cindy Hudson Northfield, NJ

Answer: Your buddleia 'Lochinch' should be fine in full sun, and in general are quite hardy and not fussy about care. Just make sure it receives adequate moisture and light fertilizer while it settles in to its new home. Once established, the only attentionsrequired are: 1) spring fertilization with a balanced fertilzer (5-5-5); 2) mulch around the base after first hard frost for winter protection; 3) light pruning of the shoots in late winter if they are crowded, broken or unruly.