The Q&A Archives: Transplant Day Lilies

Question: When is the correct time to separate day lilies? Mine have just started coming up (bout 3 inches are showing) Also, is there any way to get Shasta daisies to continue a full bloom after the initial bloom period is over. I've fertilized and watered and continue to get sparse and small blooms after an initial gorgeous showing?

Answer: Daylilies can be dug and divided any time, although some gardeners feel it is better to do it after they bloom or in late summer. In my experience early spring is satisfactory as well. Shastas can nearly exhaust themselves with that first big flush of blooms, especially once the weather turns hot as it so often does in summer. The best you can do is deadhead religiously, fertilize generously with a top dressing of compost and/or fertilizer and water carefully, keep the plant mulched and hope for a good second flush.