The Q&A Archives: Blueberries

Question: I would like to grow blueberries on my property but do not know what varietie to grow in my area. I would also like some infomation on polinatin. Would blueberries grow next to blue spruce trees

Answer: Blueberries require a soil that is extremely acidic, humusy, and evenly moist yet well drained (meaning not soggy). In order to grow them successfully you will have to offer this type of soil and a location in full sun. Unfortunately, if there are competing tree roots or if there is shade, the plants will not thrive. Your county extension (285-4630) should be able to help you with the preliminary soil tests and determining any needed amendments based on the test results, as well as suggest varieties known to do particularly well in your local area. Enjoy those blueberries!