The Q&A Archives: Annuals, Perennials and Bulbs for Shade

Question: We have been planting annuals for years but our maple trees have taken over. We now need a list of annuals and perenials that will do well in shadeed areas and a mixture of sun and shade, What would you suggest for boxes and for border gardens? I also need a lawn seed that will survive in mainly shaded areas as well as being damp.

Answer: For shade: Perennials -- Anemone, Columbine, Astilbe, Campanula, lily-of-the-valley, Dicentra, Digitalis, Ferns, Hosta, daylilies, Liriope, Monarda, Pachysandra, Thalictrum, Vinca. Annuals -- Begonia, Browallia, Coleus, annual Foxglove, Forget-me-not, Impatiens, Primrose, Torenia, Viola. Bulbs -- Begonia, Caladium, Camassia, Elephant's ears, Lilium, Narcissus, Scilla, Callas. Your local garden center will carry a shady lawn mix suited for your climate.