The Q&A Archives: Flowers for Windowbox

Question: I want to plant window boxes. They seem to need special flowers. I won't be able to water them everyday. Do you have any sugestions for flowers and when to plant them in my area ? Robert Murphy Quincy, MA

Answer: Flower boxes can be planted with almost any flower---annual or perennial. (Avoid extremely tall plants.) Annuals would probably be better, so you won't have to worry about overwintering the plants. You don't have to water them every day but the frequency of watering will depend on the depth of the box-the deeper the better. Some good ones to try are nasturtium, marigolds, zinnia, petunias, alyssum, and geraniums. Be sure to use a media (soil) that is rich, but well-drained so that rot doesn't occur.