The Q&A Archives: Sweet Pea

Question: Can I grow sweet peas in my garden? Please tell me under what conditions. Can I buy them from seed or as a bare root -- which would be more successful if available as seed and bare root.

Answer: The fragrant sweet peas are cool season annuals started from seed each year. Although they can be started indoors, most people plant the seeds outdoors in the place where they are to grow. They should be planted very early, just as one would plant garden peas, about five weeks before the last anticipated frost! Burpee offers several varieties of seed. The seeds have a hard seed coat so you might want to nick them slightly or soak them in warm water for a few hours just prior to planting. They do well in a sunny spot but prefer a cool location so avoid a spot with hot afternoon sun. Expect them to thrive only until the summer weather turns hot, too. Good luck with your sweet peas!