The Q&A Archives: Potato Tomatoes.

Question: Several years ago a friend of mine grew tomatoes that were pinkish in color, very large, and very few seeds. they were great for tomato sandwiches. She called them "potato tomatoes." I have searched your catalogs as well as other companies' and seem to have trouble locating these plants or seeds. I have read articles and the QandA section, but these don't seem to be the same "potato tomatoes" that are frequently referred to there. can u help?....

Answer: Some tomato varieties have foliage that looks more like that of a potato plant than a tomato plant. (This is not too surprising because the plants are both in the same family.) I suspect your friend may have been growing "Brandywine", a delicious and fine heirloom variety with pinkish fruit and potato type leaves. This is available from the Burpee Heirlooms catalog, you may call 1-800-888-1447 to order or request a catalog.