The Q&A Archives: Germinating Cleome

Question: I purchased your Easy Care Flower Garden and planted each different flower seed according to the directions on the package. It has been about a month since then and all of the seeds have sprouted and are growing well except the cleome. Could you tell me if I could have done something wrong or should I wait a little longer for the cleome to grow? Thanks. James Starkel Hot Springs, AR

Answer: My reference here says that cleome seeds need a chilling period. They should be planted in a moist growing medium, and placed in the refrigerator for 2 weeks. Then remove them and keep at 70 to 75 degrees F. They should germinate in about 2 weeks. Since it's been a month and yours still haven't germinated, you might try chilling the seeds for a week or so, then placing them in a warm place. Or start over if you have any seeds left. If the seed packet did not instruct you to do this, then it may be that the particular variety usually will germinate eventually without this chilling. What did the packet give as a germination time?

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"