The Q&A Archives: Flowering Vine

Question: I have a plant from a seed but I threw out the pack and don't know what it is. It took like 6 months for the first sprout but since then it has grown like a weed and it's grown into a huge vine about 3 feet has these huge white flowers that open as the sun starts to set and come morning they're dead.....there are pods and the vine and a green spiral pod extends from it and it grows out several inches and then a white flower unspirals from it there all white and very pretty, smell great but I don't have any information on it....can you help?

Answer: It sounds like you have a moonflower vine, Ipomoea alba. It is a tropical vine so we grow it as an annual in areas with cold winters. It is related to the morning glories and like those vines, prefers full sun in a warm location. Enjoy!