The Q&A Archives: A Fast Growing Flowering Tree

Question: The garden I'm planning is somewhat of a fantasy theme: there is a gate that opens in the front and you go down a path that has aches with roses climing up them, you go down a path and there is an open space; in the center is a pond, and behind it I want to put a good-sized tree. Also I'm puting a table with chairs and a bench on ether side of the tree, so I'd like something that will provide shade.

The problem is that I'm very impatiant and I want a tree that will grow very fast (I'm talking a full-grown apple tree or something along the hight and fullness of that). I know that a fruiting tree won't grow as quickly because a lot of its energy goes into the fruit. How large a tree can I get? Can I buy one that's fairly mature, tall and full? Where can I get one? I was looking at a Newport plum, a spring snow crabapple, and a weeping cherry, which most appealed to me. I know this is a lot to ask but I need help!

Answer: Your plan sounds lovely! It is possible to purchase large trees, but their installation usually requires heavy equipment, and can become expensive as a result. A local garden designer, landscape architect, or larger garden center can give you an estimate on such an installation. Just a word to the wise: larger trees tend to take longer to become established, and in many cases a smaller tree will catch up to the larger within just a few years.

In terms of selecting the tree, the three you mention are all relatively fast growing and tend to establish fairly easily. For quick shade, however, an arbor covered with a vine would give you more immediate results, with the added bonus of not providing so much root competition for your other plants, or rooting into the pond, or overly shading the pond. Good luck!