The Q&A Archives: Searching for Mini-Watermelon

Question: On a TV gardening show, the host was demonstrating how to fill a windowbox planter and one of the plants they used was a mini-watermelon plant. The melon was very tiny, about 3 inches or smaller in length and 1 inch in diameter. I don't remember what show this was on. Do you know where I can purchase the seed or plant? Thanks a bunch!!! C. Lam Redmond, WA

Answer: The only thing I could find remotely similar to your description is a "pickling melon" named Numame. The catalog description says its fruits resemble a large pale cucumber. The firm, thick flesh is used for "Oriental pickles or your favorite watermelonpickles". This variety is available from Nichols Garden Nursery. They may have more information on other possibilities. Their number is 541/928-9280.