The Q&A Archives: Controlling Vining Vegetables

Question: As my pumpkins, cucmbers, and gourds grow, the vines get all tangled, and take over the rest of the garden. Should I build a fence for them to climb? My garden is about 70x90 feet.

Answer: Gourds are often grown and allowed to dangle down from an overhead trellis. Cucumbers may also be grown on a trellis although you will need to keep them picked or the fruits will fall off. Small pumpkins can also be grown on a trellis; they may need to be gently supported in slings made from old nylon stockings or onion bags, or similar quick drying but strong material however. There are also bush varieties of pumpkins and cukes that you can try. These plants only grow to a certain size, so they won't take over your garden.