The Q&A Archives: Hollow Tube Grass?

Question: I'm trying to determine the name of a plant typically found by beaches (Florida / California).

It is about 1/4" in diameter and grows about 14" tall, together in clumps.

It resembles hollow tubes that can be pulled apart into shorter pieces.

Green in color resembling grass

Thanks so much for your help.

Answer: I think you're describing a rush rather than a grass, and my guess is Juncus articulatus (Jointed Rush).

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by mcash70 and is called "Moss on a log"