The Q&A Archives: Wilting Leaves On Aeonium

Question: I have the succulent Aeonium, the one on the long stem with the dark purple leaves. The bottom most leaves have wilted and fallen off, and I'm wondering if this is natural. Because the new leaves come from the central rosette, is it natural that the bottom leaves fall off to make room for the new ones or have I done something wrong? I've only watered it once since I bought it a few weeks ago.

Answer: It sounds like you have Aeonium arboreum atropurpureum. This interesting plant can reach a height of 3' or more!

If the leaves are dropping off at a fast rate, it sounds like something is wrong. Do you have the plant in a sunny spot? This plant require good light and at least some direct sun. If it is in a really sunny spot, it's possible that you aren't giving it enough water; however, usually the problem with succulent plants is that they get too much water, especially during their dormant period.

I suggest you wait and see what happens. If the soil is bone dry, give it some water. I suspect it's suffering from the shock of moving from greenhouse conditions to your home. Hopefully, it will make a full recovery!