The Q&A Archives: Elephant's Ears

Question: Could you possibly tell me how to plant elephant ears? I was told by someone that I had to soak the bulbs in water and then someone told me not to. I'm just a beginner at planting bulbs and would appreciate your advice.

Answer: It isn't necessary to soak the tuber prior to planting, but it can be difficult to tell which end is up on Elephant's Ear! Look at the tuber; one end should have a little more "hairiness" to it. That is the end that down towards the ground. Also, one end may be slightly more tapered/pointy. That end goes up. Plant so there's about 4-inches of soil over the top of the tuber.

Elephant ears (Colocasia esculenta) grow best in a site that is situated in partial shade to full shade with good drainage. They do like a steady supply of water during the summer to grow those gigantic ears, just make sure the soil doesn't stay wet. Be sure to dig the tubers up 4 wks. before the last frost and store over the winter in a cool, dark, dry location (garage, crawlspace, toolshed, etc.)