The Q&A Archives: Wilting Ornamental Pepper

Question: I bought an ornamental pepper in a pot. It was beautiful at first because of the small red peppers. Now that all the peppers are gone i can't seem to grow them back. The flowers continue to appear but it doesn't mature. i noticed that the corner of the leaves starts to turn black and there are many small black spots in the stem. I bought an insect spray that kills multiples of bugs but it doesn't help.
How can I revive this beautiful plant.(it says in the marker that it was grown in Canada)
Thank You!

Answer: Since your plant continued to flower, you must be taking good care of it. The fruit would fail to form because the flowers need to be pollinated. Indoors, where there are few insects, it is usually necessary to do this by using a small paint brush. Unfortunately, however, it sounds like your pepper is being affected by a disease and it may be the most prudent thing is to discard it (including the soil and any plant debris) and replace it with a new plant in a clean pot and soil. I'm sorry I can't be more encouraging.