The Q&A Archives: Lawn Grass for GA

Question: My yard is all red clay.... I need a grass that will grow in the hot Georgia sun without wilting and looking brown. I have read about a grass in a home owner magazine that claims to do this and stay green year round any hints or varieties that you could suggest? Travis Talmo, GA

Answer: I think your first step should be soil improvement: have a soil test done, aereate the soil, and add organic matter. Gardener's Supply Company ( offers free Lawn Care and Soil Improvement Bulletins that you may find helpful in this regard. In the humid southeast, grass should (under non-drought conditions) remain green all summer. Zoysiagrass takes a long time to get established, but it sounds like it would be most tolerant of your current conditions. Your best bet is to contact your state extension turf specialist (call 706-542-3824) for a recommended grass variety for your region and conditions.