The Q&A Archives: Propagating Jacaranda

Question: I have a beautiful Jacaranda tree and am getting ready to move. Can I graft this tree and if so how?

If you want to start a new plant from Jacaranda, the best way would be to take greenwood cuttings from new growth in late spring up to early summer.  Greenwood cuttings are slightly firmer and darker than softwood cuttings. Cut across the union of old and new wood to obtain cuttings of new growth that are 10-12 inches long. Trim off the soft wood at the tip of the shoot, just above a node (point where a leaf joins the stem).  Remove the bottom leaf and wound the base of the stem by cutting away a sliver of bark, about one inch long. This encourages rooting.  The final cutting should be about 3-4 inches long and have three nodes. Dip the base of the cutting into rooting compound. Insert each cutting into a mix of peat moss and perlite just deep enough to stand upright. At least one node should be buried. Water and keep moist.  If possible, a humidity tent would help rooting. 

You can also sow jacaranda seeds.  With either of these methods, it will take some time to achieve a mature flowering jacaranda.