The Q&A Archives: Indoor Container Vegetables

Question: Do you have any hints on growing vegetables indoors in containers? Carol Kern Martinez, CA

Answer: In general light, humidity and temperature conditions indoors must be similar to outdoor growing conditions if plants are to thrive. Examples of vegetables that are easy to grow inside are greens, radishes and baby carrots, since although they require a minimum of 6 hours of light, it need not be intense light. Fruiting plants such as tomato, bell pepper, eggplant, squash, etc., need intense light all day long. If you have windows that get 8 hours of intense light each day, you could get them to flower. I recommend a book, The Complete Urban Farmer, by David Wickers. I think it will give you a better idea of what's required. I'm happy to answer more specific questions on the subject if you like.