The Q&A Archives: Honeysuckle Trellis

Question: I want to train a Lonicera henryii. Can you recommend a trellis design that will work with my front porch's 12' vertical and 25' spread? Fishing line was creative but, aluminum or copper wire is looking a bit more durable.

Answer: I think I'd opt for galvanized or aluminum wire. You can create a fan shape or even make 8" to 12" squares and train the honeysuckle stems to follow the wire. This will give you a peek-a-boo view, and give your trellis some character, especially when the honeysuckle is in bloom.

A really fun landscape design book is called "Taylor's Guide to Landscaping" (ISBN# 0-395-46784-5). It provides all kinds of hints and suggested designs for all kinds of effects in the garden. I'll bet somewhere in the book you'll find exactly the ideas you're looking for!