The Q&A Archives: Companion Plants of Rosemary are Dying

Question: I have a raised flower bed that has rosemary growing on the outer edge. Plants and flowers keep dying in the bed. I read somewhere that rosemary generates oils in the soil. Is this what's happening to what I plant there? If so, can I fix the soil? I would like some perennial plants with colorful seasonal flowers.

Answer: I'm not aware of any allelopathic (chemical warfare) traits in rosemary. It's generally grown with other plants, especially in mixed herb beds. Perhaps the companion plants you've chosen for the bed do not thrive in the full sunshine and dry soils that suit rosemary. Try growing portulaca, salvia, artemisia, coreopsis, euphorbia, gaillardia, oenothera, marigold, zinnia, liatris and linum in the bed with your rosemary.

Hope you have a colorful summer!