The Q&A Archives: Transplanting Balloonflowers

Question: I just purchased some 2 year old Platycodon. They are mostly roots, stored in a bag of peat. When would be the appropriate planting time for my area? And until that time, where should I store them?

Answer: If planted too soon, in cold, clammy soils, the roots will not survive. You can plant in late spring; mid- to late-April in your region. In the meantime, store the roots in a cool area, such as a garage or shed. When you do plant, provide rich, moist, well-draining soil and a sunny site. Balloon flowers generally bloom June through September. To promote additional blossoms, cut spent flowers from the plant but leave the flower stem attached. Balloon flowers are a really attractive and interesting addition to the garden. Enjoy yours!