The Q&A Archives: Can I Grow Tiny Squash On A Teepee?

Question: I received some squash seeds and have started nine wee plants indoors. I don't know the squash name -- but they are meant to be harvested at 3-4" in diameter and are turban-shaped.

Can I grow these on a teepee? I'd love for my 3-year-old daughter to be able to play in one this summer.

If I can't, my alternative is a 4' by 6' space in a raised bed that's a foot deep. If I must plant the squash there, how do I do it and how many can go in?

Answer: To be honest I think the teepee would do better for a more clinging type of vine such as pole beans or even morning glories. The squash would do fine in your raised bed either being allowed to sprawl or supported on a trellis of either large wire or nylon mesh. These fruits are small enough that supporting them should not be a problem. The ultimate number of plants would depend on the variety you are growing, but that area should certainly accomodate several plants especially if you are using any variation of the square foot gardening methods.