The Q&A Archives: Blooms Dropping On Oroblanco

Question: I have a dwarf Oroblanco grapefruit tree that is about 1 1/2 years old. Last year at this time, it flowered, but the few fruits that set(and all the blooms)fell off.
The tree is about to bloom again, and I would like to know what may be causing this and how to prevent it from happening.

Answer: Citrus is extremely moisture-dependent and needs fertilizing three times per year with nitrogen. If you are not feeding or watering adequately, that may be the reason the fruit is dropping. The longer the fruit stays on the tree, the sweeter it becomes (assuming the tree is being cared for adequately). Most citrus can be harvested over a period of months, and taste testing periodically is the best way to determine when it's ready to be picked. Water your tree slowly and deeply so that the water moves past the root zone and out past the tree's canopy. Fertilize in Jan/Feb, April/May and Aug/Sept. with 1/3 of the tree's annual requirements. Water thoroughly before and after applying fertilizer and follow package instructions. I hope this info helps!