The Q&A Archives: Transplanting Seedlings

Question: This year I decided to start my seeds indoors. I planted Celosia, which I purchased from Burpee's catalog. The problem: I thought I read to transplant my seedlings when they got two leaves, instead of when they got their second set of leaves. So, I repotted my Celosia seedlings in plastic trays with seed starting mix. Do you thing this will kill them or cause permanent damage to them? Please help, because I still have time to purchase more seeds and try again! :-)

Answer: The reason for waiting for more leaves is that they are easier to handle and a little less fragile. If you were very gentle in your transplanting and the little plants look okay, then they should be fine. Do make sure to give them plenty of good strong light until they go outdoors -- these plants are real sun-lovers.

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Agave"