The Q&A Archives: Bean leaves get brown spots

Question: I have a problem with 'Blue Lake' bush bean. I rotate my crop and still have the same problem. When beans start to produce the leaves get brown spots. The leaves soon dry up and only beans remain. This problem starts on a few plants then spreads to all other plants.The garden has about 8 hours sun and I water from soaker hoses so the plants' leaves remain dry. I live in southeast New Jersey.

Answer: Sounds like a bad case of bean rust. How to control: 1) Use resistant varieties. 2) Rotate crops (use a new, different location for your beans every year for 3-4 years). 3) Clean up all diseased plant matter immediately and dispose of it (not to the compost pile). 4) Dust leaves with lime in extreme cases. 5) Avoid handling wet plants.