The Q&A Archives: Lisianthus in Silicon Valley, CA

Question: I'd like to use cut Lisianthus in my wedding this October 4. What is the blooming season of this annual in my area, and what can I do to prolong it if it doesn't extend through fall? Do you send seedlings or more mature plants, and how long does ittake until these plants bloom? Finally, would Lisianthus do well outdoors in my area (CA Silicon Valley) all year round? Thank you much! Frances Wang Los Altos, CA

Answer: Lisianthus should grow fine in your area as it thrives in summer heat and has a long blooming period. Just make sure it has fertile, well drained soil that holds moisture. It generally takes 3-4 months from seeding to bloom, so purchasing plants would cut that down by a month. I recommend contacting your local extension ornamentals specialist (ph# 408-299-2635) to find out for sure if it will still be blooming in your area in early October. Hope it works out!