The Q&A Archives: Hypertufa Planters

Question: We live on the side of a mountainside on very poor soil. I want to do container gardening and have been seeking the mixture to use for making the concrete and peat containers. Do you have the recipe?

Answer: The finished product is called hypertufa. I have tried several recipes and the one I use now consists of one part peat, one part perlite, and one part Portland cement. This makes a light planter that can be moved after it is planted, providing of course that it isn't too large. If you are not concerned with weight, substitute sand for the perlite. For an aged look, I mix buttermilk and moss in a blender and paint it on the dampened trough, and keep the trough in a shady spot until the moss starts to grow.