The Q&A Archives: Appropriate Planting Times

Question: Recently I had received an order of bare root plants from another company with no instructions on when to plant in the spring. I have ordered multiple shipments from you and am impressed, so I beg of you for some info. I have hardy salvia, liatris, balloon flowers, and red hot poker. It is now March 23 and I live in zone 5. When should they go in the ground and how should I keep them until I can plant?

Answer: Bare root perennials should be planted immediately so they can wake up naturally with the season. If they have already started to leaf out due to being held in a warm location, then you may want to pot them up so that you can protect them until the weather settles a bit and nights are reliably above freezing. If you do this, be sure to set them outside in a sheltered spot during the day so they can become accustomed to the sunshine and outdoor conditions.