The Q&A Archives: Rooting Crabapple Cuttings

Question: I have a small crabapple tree. I keep it pruned for a good shape, but it's such a shame to throw away those beautiful clippings. Can I root these?

Answer: Valerie,

Technically speaking you can root cuttings from a crabapple tree. However, those prunings are woody cuttings and therefore are not very likely to root. Semi-woody cuttings from current season growth will be more likely to root, but even this takes a rooting hormone dip and very specific conditions (moist, well aerated rooting mix, bright but indirect light). Then there is the issue of rootstock. Most trees are on a specific rootstock. Rooted cuttings would be on their own roots and therefore would lack whatever benefit the rootstock provided in disease resistance, size reduction, etc.

Thanks for the question. Please feel free to stop in again with another question any time we can help!