The Q&A Archives: Transplanting Asparagus

Question: I have asparagus plants that are 4 years old that I harvested the first time last year

Answer: It sounds as though your asparagus plants are pretty well-established. Asparagus plants have a complex root system and you may or may not be sucessful in digging up and transplanting the plants. It usually takes asparagus two or three years to get established; that could be a long time to wait and find out that they didn't transplant well. You might just want to start with newly purchased roots. The best time to move them would be in the spring while they are still dormant. Dig up and identify the crown and try to trim it to a compact root system. Have a new bed about 12" deep dug and prepared with a base of compost and root fertilizer. Plant they crowns about 6" deep and cover with a mixture of soil and compost to ground level. Keep it well weeded and wait until the next growing year to begin harvesting.