The Q&A Archives: Small Brown Spots On Schefflera

Question: dear q&a person:

recently i purchased a large schefflera umbrella houseplant from a garden center and it seemed very healthy.however,lately some of the leaves have developed small brown spots on the tops of them and then the leaves turn yellow and become .ihave other plants of the same variety and none have this problem,all are misted freguently,and get a decent amount of you have any idea as to what is causing this and a solution?

thank you.

Answer: Based on your description it sounds like the plant might possibly
have some scale insects which seem like little, almost waxy,
flat disks. These can be found on the foliage and on the stems and can be gently scraped off with a fingernail.They may also be treated with insecticidal soap according to
the label instructions.

If they are sunken spots, however,
they may be a form of bacterial leaf spot. If you suspect this,
you might wish to take a sample to your County Extension
(560-4150) for a more specific identification of the problem
and suggested control, if any. In the meantime, I would strongly suggest you isolate the plant from your other houseplants. I'm sorry about your plant.