The Q&A Archives: Cut Flowers

Question: I am going to be starting a garden in my backyard soon. I was wondering, what are some different types of flowers that will keep regenerating enough to keep getting fresh cut flowers all season long? I love pastel colors but am not limited to them.

Answer: There are many annual flowers well suited for cutting, but some of the longer lasting and most productive might include cosmos, zinnia, salvia "Victoria Blue", snapdragon, sunflower, China asters, and batchelor buttons; strawflowers and gomphrena are also excellent but they make lovely dried flowers, too. Among the perennials, you might consider Shasta daisies, rudbeckias, purple coneflowers, baby's breath, feverfew, verbena bonariensis, violas, hollyhocks, foxglove and roses.