The Q&A Archives: Cucumber

Question: I would like to know some tips on growing cucumbers and peppers in southern MN. SW. Geiger Waterville, MN

Answer: The success to growing both cucumbers and peppers is warmth. You should wait until the soil has warmed up to 70F and the outside temperature will remain above 55F or higher. In your area I would recommend purchasing pepper "transplants"--seedlings thathave been grown in a greenhouse and are ready to be transplanted into the garden. You can sow cucumber seeds directly in the garden. Choose a site where plants will be protected from the wind. Water regularly; if the plants dry out and wilt their growth will be stunted. Fertilize the prepared growing area with a balanced fertilizer before you plant and fertilize again when they begin to set fruit. Give them more fertilizer if you see yellow leaves developing. Keep an eye out for cucumber beetles; if you do see them hand-pick and crush them.