The Q&A Archives: Morning Glorys Growing Too Fast

Question: I guess I shouldn't have started my morning glory seeds indoors, because they're ten inches tall already and I don't know what to do. My zone is six leaving me another month before I can transplant outdoors. I'm going to have one tangled mess by then. Any ideas?

Answer: Morning glories are usually started in the spot where they are to grow for exactly this reason; I'm not sure you will be able to keep them under control and also healthy for that long indoors since they really demand full sun. They can also be difficult to transplant. You could try to keep them trimmed and growing along a small trellis in a large pot and set the pot outdoors in a sheltered spot whenever possible. On the other hand, you might simply plant new weed outside in a few weeks.