The Q&A Archives: Causes for Failing Zucchini

Question: My zucchini and pumpkin plants, started from seed, are not thriving. They are in a sunny location and get plenty of water. They are in a raised bed with a "planting mix" containing lots of organic matter. I grew both varieties in the same location last year

Answer: You sound like you have done everything you should have. Some things that could have gone wrong: You started them when there was a spell of cool weather and they got off to a very slow start. The fertilizer solution was too concentrated and damaged the roots. There is some soil-borne disease that has overwintered in the location you planted them in. Your soil may be very acidic or very alkaline. You might want to have a soil test done. Poor pollination may be the reason you had a poor crop last year and could be a factor again this year. Give them a little more time to grow and watch them. If you see indication that they have some type of disease, destroy the plants and find another location to try some new plants.