The Q&A Archives: Privacy Hedge Suggestions

Question: Hi, I'm new at this so some of the terms I am unclear of. I am looking for a flowering shrub that will grow to 4-10 ft. high. I would like for it to stay green all year. There is sun and partial sun facing east. I am in zone 6 (i think) I have been to a few nurseries but will need probably 30+ plants (I have 180ft. to cover), and it seems very expensive. Do you have any suggestions? I have seen pictures of butterfly bushes, but am unclear if they stay green all year. Thank you for your help.

Answer: Sometimes the terminolgy can be confusing and sometimes nursery jargon is downright misleading! You're looking for a broadleaf evergreen (as opposed to one with needles and cones). Butterfly bush (Buddleia) lose their leaves in the winter, so that's probably not a good choice for the situation you describe. Other suggestions include Escallonia, Photinia, Pieris, Glossy Abelia, Nandina (Heavenly Bamboo), Privet, and Yew. An inexpensive source for many plants, especially native plants, is through your local Conservation District. They generally have annual plant sales and take orders for plants in lots of 10 or 20. Check with your Cooperative Extension office for additional sources of plants in bulk. (509) 574-1066.