The Q&A Archives: Double Hyacinth

Question: Ten years ago, when I moved into my apartment, I planted all my favorite Spring bulbs. Each year, they have all brought me delight, not to mention the heavenly fragrance. This year, however, brought a surprise. I had planted six hyacinth bulbs in all colors but only one white. While admiring my beauties last week, I noticed a second stem coming out of the white hyacinth - right out of the middle of the plant where the main stem originates. It has small white blossoms on it and appears to be crowding the older stem for light. Is this a freak of nature or should I divide the bulbs? Thanks, Julie Wilson

Answer: It is possible that your bulb has created a sport or chimera of some sort, but whether or not it would be stable would only become apparent in time. You could certainly divide the bulbs and see what happens, but I would wait until the foliage is nearly spent to do that.