The Q&A Archives: Peacock Orchid

Question: I recently received as a gift 20 peacock orchids bulbs. I don't know how to take care of them.Please advise me when should I plant them, how deep in the ground and if they need sun or not.

Answer: Acidanthera bicolor, or Peacock Orchid, will grow to a height of 3' and produce flowers that are white with maroon markings. Peacock orchid is related to the gladiolus, not orchids, but it requires a longer growing season than
gladiolus. Plant in large groups for the best landscape effect. The fragrant flowers are good for cutting and are
present in late summer or early fall. A sunny growing area with light, well-drained soil is best. Water generously except when plants flower or after blooming. In spring, plant the corms three inches deep. Dig and clean the corms in the fall after the foliage matures. Remove the stems and cure the corms in a cool dry place for several weeks. Pack the corms in peat moss and store at 40 degrees.