The Q&A Archives: Rejuvenating Neglected Grape Vines

Question: I recently moved into a house with three grape vines planted on a hillside in the backyard. The vines have been severely neglected. They are still producing leaves but they are not very healthy. What can I do to get these vines back into shape and producing healthy grapes? I appreciate any help you have to offer. Thank you for your time. Kristin B L.

Answer: , CA A.Your first step will be to prune your grape vines. If there are suckers emerging from around the main trunk, choose 3 of the most vigorous ones, and remove all the other suckers and the main trunk. Essentially, you will be starting a new vine with these sprouts. Spread a layer of compost on the soil around the new vines. Try to keep the area immediately around the vines free of weeds to reduce competition for water and nutrients.