The Q&A Archives: Garden Fabric

Question: I am starting a new rose garden and after doing some reading I have not found anywhere that it is ok to use a weed blocker or fabric cover with mulch on top,could you please advise me?

Answer: In my experience a properly prepared planting area that is subsequently maintained under several inches of mulch year round will not need the additional fabric barrier. If there are some perennial weeds that persist they can be smothered with a layer of cardboard topped off with mulch, or they can be spot treated with herbicide. In my experience the fabric tends to entangle roots and slow the natural decay processes so that the mulch does not feed the soil as it should over time so it is better to go without it.