The Q&A Archives: Getting Different Results from Corn Varieties

Question: I purchased two Burpee corn seeds for my backyard garden. One was sweet corn Breeder's Choice', the other sweet corn Early Sunglow' hybrid. Both were planted on the same day, same soil with exact conditions. Both packed for 1997. There was good germination on the Sunglow', but all of the Breeders Choice' rotted in the ground. Why? The Breeders Choice' was marked as (LOT 1). Glenn Hogan Houston, TX

Answer: The seeds of some varieties of plants are just more sensitive to environmental conditions than others. It sounds like the Breeder's Choice' variety was too sensitive for the conditions. Corn needs warm, well-drained soil to germinate properly. Some corn seeds come coated with fungicide to help ward off the soil fungi that hasten rotting. If you would like to discuss getting a refund or exchange for your Breeders Choice' seeds, contact Burpee again by calling or e-mailing again.