The Q&A Archives: Weed And Grass Control Around Perennials

Question: I have an old perennial bed that was planted among small stones, other than taking everything out and replanting is there a weed control that will get rid of the weeds and grass and leave my perennials?

Answer: There are several things you can try. One is to cut the weeds off short and then smother them beneath several layers of newspaper or a layer of cardboard topped off with several inches of organic mulch. Another method is to use an herbicide containing glyphosate being careful to follow the label instructions. Since this is a nonselective herbicide you might find the wipe on application method easier to control than a spray. Finally, you may find that in some cases it is better to dig out the perennial and untangle the weed from it and replant. Usually. a combination of the three methods will do the job especially if you are persistent about it.