The Q&A Archives: Tomato Trellis

Question: Please send me design features. Have tomato garden about 1/2 acre and currently using wire and wood trellises. Would like to look at other designs.

Answer: Unfortunately, I do not have sample plans to send you. You might consider using metal "T" stakes for your tomatoes, or possibly constructing individual cages out of sections of large scale wire mesh. These would be available in bulk through hardware/lumber yard type suppliers. Some gardeners also find it acceptable to omit staking altogether, although this can make harvest a bit difficult. Your County Extension (278-5403) might also have some suggestions for making large or commercial scale trellising using inexpensive or locally available materials.